How do I know if I have a case?
There are many factors that are considered when determining whether an injured person has right to sue for money damages.

The first factor that must be evaluated is how the accident occurred. Someone must be at fault for causing the accident. One may be at fault for an accident under a variety of theories such as the failure to use reasonable care when driving or violating a safety law or defectively designing a product or failing to provide a safe premises. In order to determine whether someone is at fault for the accident, we must investigate the case which may involve visiting the scene, obtaining witness statements, hiring and consulting with expert witnesses such as accident reconstructionists, engineers, architects and doctors, and researching the applicable law.

After we consider how the accident occurred and determine if someone can be held accountable for causing the accident, we must evaluate your damages. Damages fall into two basic categories – economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages include items like medical expenses, lost wages, lost fringe benefits and out of pocket expenses such as the cost of hiring someone to perform services in your place. Non-economic damages include pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life such as the loss of the ability to perform daily tasks, to participate in the activities which were part of your life before the injury and to experience the pleasures of life. All these items must be reviewed in order to determine if an injured person has a case and whether it should be pursued.

Why do I need a lawyer?
If you have been involved in an accident and suffered personal injuries, you should retain a lawyer to protect your legal rights. All personal injury cases have filing deadlines known as statutes of limitations. A statute of limitations acts as an expiration date. A lawsuit must be commenced before the statute of limitations expires or the injured person forever loses their right to sue. In some cases, there is an additional requirement that a notice of claim be served shortly after the accident. This notice must be served to preserve an injured person’s right to commence a lawsuit in the future.

Applications for benefits such as medical expense coverage and lost wage reimbursement may also have short filing deadlines. Some deadlines are 30 days or less. Since there are so many deadlines that may apply to a personal injury case, each claim must be individually evaluated to ensure that the injured person’s right to make a claim is protected.

Most insurance policies require that the insurance company be given notice of the injury claim. Therefore, it is important to identify all of the possible insurance policies that may cover a claim so that timely notice may be given.

For all of these reasons, you should retain a lawyer to protect your legal rights. We at AME Law are dedicated to helping those injured as a result of negligence.

If you have been injured, contact us and we will immediately begin working for you to protect your legal rights.

Who pays my medical bills and lost wages
The answer to this question depends on the type of accident that caused your injuries and which insurance policies may be available to pay your expenses. There are many different types of insurance policies that may provide benefits in the event of an accident. For example, no-fault insurance covers medical expenses and pays a lost wage benefit if someone is injured as a result of a motor vehicle accident. Workers’ compensation insurance is available if someone is injured during the course of their employment.Washington State disability insurance provides a lost wage benefit under certain circumstances. There are other types of disability policies which may also cover an injured person. Depending on the nature and extent of your injuries, you may qualify for Social Security Disability benefits. Some liability policies provide coverage to pay for medical expenses. There are also other benefit plans such as private health insurance, Medicare and Medicaid which may provide coverage under certain circumstances.

Each case must be carefully evaluated to determine which benefits are available to an injured person. Once you retain AME Law we will assist you in determining which insurance policies are available to pay your medical bills and lost wages, and we will help you apply for those benefits.

How long will my case take
A number of factors determine how long a case takes. Before your case can be resolved, we must know the full extent of your damages. This cannot be determined until you have completed your medical treatment and reached maximum medical improvement. We need to know from your doctors how much and how long the injuries will affect you. Only then can we evaluate your case and try to resolve it. If the case cannot be settled, then the case will be presented to a jury to determine who is at fault for the accident and the amount of your monetary damages.

How much will I settle for? Will my case go to trial?
We will advise you whether we believe a settlement offer is fair or if we recommend proceeding to trial. There are many factors to consider when deciding whether to accept a settlement offer including the amount of the offer, the likelihood of obtaining a lower or higher award at trial, the expenses that will be incurred if the case goes to trial, and any reductions that may be made by the Court to the jury verdict. Only after all of these factors are considered can you determine whether to accept a settlement offer. Whether you settle your case is your call. Only you, the client, can approve and accept a settlement.

How much of my time is involved in pursuing my claim?
Once you retain AME Law, we will pursue the claim for you. However, you will still be involved your case. We will be in frequent contact with you to discuss your medical care and treatment. Your presence may be required for meetings, medical examinations, hearings and court appearances. Of course, we will guide you through each part of the process, and keep you advised of the progress of your case.